White stuff on leaves

Apologizing in advance for a long post, but I wanted to get as much info as
I could in it:

In my 55 gallon planted tank, I have begun to get white, powdery-looking
stuff on some of the plant leaves. It seems to be worse on the crystal val
and E. tennellus, but has been showing a bit on some Java moss. It makes the
leaves feel rough and can be scraped off, but does not rub off easily. It
only appears on the side of the tank opposite the CO2 bottles, if that makes
any difference.

Tank stats: 55 US gallon, fairly heavily planted, Marineland Penguin 300
filter, 2 DIY 1 liter yeast bottles (one refreshed every other week,
alternately), black gravel substrate with laeterite.

Fish: 3 otos, 3 SAEs, 2 tiger barbs, 1 Australian rainbow sp., 1 C. moorii
(yes, rift lake cichlid, I know- but he was getting beaten literally to
death in the Africans tank), 2 yo-yo loaches, 1 ancistrus sp.

Plants: Lots of Java moss, Java fern, Hygro (both corymbosa and difformis),
crystal val, giant val, aponogeton, A. reinicki, Bacopa, Rotala, E.
tenellus, a couple smallish swords, various crypt species

Maintenance: Bi-weekly 25% water change. I use Ferti-lome liquid for
iron+traces, dosed at 1 ml 2x per week. For nitrate and potassium, I use
solutions of nitrate of soda and muriate of potash, mostly because when I
needed to get something, that was all I could find locally, and now I have
pretty much all I will ever need! :) I mix the solutions at the PMDD rate,
and was dosing daily at 1 ml each.

Tests as of today (11/24): pH 7.4, Ammo trace, NO2 0, NO3 0, KH 4, Phosphate
0, temp 80F, CO2 5ppm using the KH/pH chart.

There's a picture at http://www.thirtytwopaws.com/fish/Planted%20June.htm
Tho it's not very good, and some of the plants have changed. It was also
taken before the white stuff appeared.

My first guess is that something is precipitating out of solution? But I
don't even pretend to be a chemist, so I could be way off base. And even if
that guess is right, I've no idea what, so I wouldn't have a clue what to do
about it! :) Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks for any help!

-Mak
http://www.thirtytwopaws.com/mak
Store, organize and access digital images easily. 60 day trial of the
standard in digital image organization: http://www.imagesw.com/photobox

If someone can tell me that hysteria works then I'll start to get
hysterical.
			-George Will