Re: Heating the small tank

Vrondi wrote:
<vrondi at MailAndNews_com>
>This
> is a
> All-Glass Aquarium "Designer" 4 gallon tank.  It is a rectangular
> shape that
> sits on one of the small ends.  This is thus a tall skinny tank, with
>
> relatively little surface area.  Nevertheless, it is cute, it is
> already here,
> and empty.  So I'm going to take it home and set it up.  I have Java
> Fern,
> Java Fern Windelov, and Rotala I thinking of sticking in there.  I'll
> have
> plenty of light.  I found some new extra small cf screw-in light
> bulbs at
> Lowe's.  These are the same length as normal light bulbs, and so will
> fit in
> fixtures teh previosu "Twisty screw in cf" bulbs wouldn't.
>      I have flourite, and I"ll hook up DIY CO2.
>      I'm going to look at very small filters this weekend.  This tank
> has a
> little UGF with it, but I don't want to use that.  I'm thining sponge
> filter
> may be about my only option.
>      My biggest question is:  How do I heat this thing???  The hood
> fits
> "seamlessly" so I can't use the heater I have which hangs on the back
> of a
> tank from a clamp.  Heating ideas please?
>      My other question is inhabitants.  Other than a beta, what might
> you guys
> put in this mini planted tank?  I thought of White Clouds if I can't
> heat the
> tank, but they are rarely available here.
>       I await suggestions.
> - -Chrys

Chrys, A few thoughts:

Thre are some mini-glasss tube type heaters around -- made by Hagen and
they are submersible -- with a submersible heater, only a small hole
wuld be required for the cord to pass through.  [Of course, in a small
tank, one hates to take up any room at all.]  You can find them at
ThatPetPlace and probably many other places.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/

From the HOME screen FISH, then select HEATERS, then go to the second
page of heaters and look for "MINI THERM 25WT 6" HEATER A721 HAGEN"

Another alternative is a small DIY sump for holding the filter and
heater although this alternative will still require altering that hood
-- but only once to pipe water out to and back from the sump tank to
handle filtering and heating.

Good Luck,
Scott H.