Re: DE filters

and then Penny wrote:
>Chuck has a Vortex.

Yep, I have a Vortex D-1 (sorry I forgot to mention it).  It's the little
one.  Most of the negative criticism I've heard about the Vortex is in
regard to their construction.  The older Vortex filters had more metal and
were built tough.  The newer ones like mine are made of a greater number of
plastic parts which cheapens the appearance and, more importantly, makes
the unit more fragile.  It has not caused any problems for me (knock on
wood), but I'm pretty easy on my equipment.  I won't say it's an awe
inspiring piece of engineering made of only the highest quality parts, it's
a relatively typical piece of hobbyist level equipment, but I do think it's
an extremely useful and well-enough built machine for what it costs.

Later on, Cameron wrote:
>I find mine to be terribly useful

My DE filter is like a narcotic...the more I use it the more I think I need
it.  I can't see being without one anymore.  Just this weekend I had to
totally remove a year's worth of plant growth from a ridiculously overgrown
20 gallon with a soil-based substrate.  Between the soil, the plants'
astronomical number of roots, and my dubious gardening skills, a huge and
nasty mess was created.  I'll spare you the gory details, but suffice it to
say that the tank is now fully replanted and has a sparkling clear water
column thanks in large part to the DE.  I shudder to think of the hazy
water I'd have had to deal with for days or longer if I hadn't had the DE
filter.

>(just try not to tear the filter bag...
>as I found the hard way).

I ditto that warning.  I learned the hard way too...twice.

regards,

Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee  USA
mailto:grendel at usit_net