DE Filters...

Penny/Robert/Chuck

IME,

I have a HOT and am not impressed w/it as a water polishing device (I know
others like it so consider this just one man's opinion). The micron pleate
does not do well without DE coating it, and once coated I have found that
the pleate only works well when the pleate is brand spanking new and has not
been used too many times.

Even when I soak a used pleate in a bleach solution ovenight and then rinse
well, It does not last very long until it clogs up. If I have GW in my 55G
(which I have right now, see other message if interested), I have to stop
filtering, remove the pleat, rinse,  wait till it slows down (clogs), and
then repeat - several times... and I think it is a PITA.

I don't consider it the best "SUB"-micron flter, but it works great for
taking larger particulate out of the water.

I wish I had a real purpose-built Diatom filter. That being said, Chuck, you
did not mention the brand of your filter. Is it a Vortex?

- Jeff

Robert said:

	You can use diatomaceous earth in the Magnum filter to
get the benefits of a diatom filter. I've used this to clear a
tank full of green water in a couple of hours.
Chuck said:

Penny, I've never used a Magnum micron cartridge, but I can't say enough
good things about my diatom filter when it comes to cleaning up the mess
following a heavy round of tank maintenance.  It polishes water
beautifully.  It is back-flushable, so the filter itself can be cleaned out
easily too.  I've had mine for over two years now, and I've not had any
problems with it.  YMMV, of course.

If I'm not mistaken, this subject popped-up on the list not too long
ago.  Maybe you can find some opinions in the APD archives as well.

HTH,

Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee  USA
mailto:grendel at usit_net