Canister filters and external CO2 reactors

I've come to the conclusion that the following is what I'm looking for in filtration and CO2 injection:

1) Unobtrusive
2) Efficient CO2 dissolving/little outgassing
3) Supports vibrant bacteria colony (I've become convinced that hair algae really does well in my tank with ammonia).

The combination of a canister filters with an external CO2 reactor would seem to fit the bill.

Can someone recommend an Eheim canister filter that would be great for a 55 gallon tank? Recommendations for an external reactor also gratefully accepted.  :)

-- Stephen