Re: Subject: External CO2 Diffuser

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001 22:41:41 -0500
"Natural Aquariums" <naturalaquariums at starpower_net> Inquired"
Subject: External CO2 Diffuser, Substrate heating cables, Eusteralis
Stellata

Hi everyone,

I know that we had discussed the whole external CO2 diffuser thing, but I
was wondering about the maintenance of the external Hydrologix model and the
external M3 model.  I really hated having to clean the internal model.
Plus, I think they are an eye site.  I thought about having my CO2 feed
straight into my canister filter, but I am really concerned about the noise
of the CO2 bubbles being churned up by the propellers.  How many know
external CO2 diffuser models are there on the market today?  Which need the
least amount of maintenance?
As a side note, does anyone have any experience with the M3 substrate
heating cables?  They seem very reasonably priced.  They also have a either
an analog or LCD heat controller.  Has anyone used these?  Which, do they
prefer?  I am a high tech gadget guy who is looking for low maintenance.
The maintenance I enjoy is pruning of plants and aquascaping.  Also, I enjoy
getting hard to grow plants and making them flourish.  Speaking of touchy
plants, does anyone know where I can get some Eusteralis Stellata?  I am
ready to tackle this challenge.

Bob Replies,
Sorry I can't tell you how long before cleaning the HydroLogix external
reactor as I haven't had to clean mine yet! It's been running maintainence
free for well over a year. It uses the output from my Eheim canister filter
to run it and as that's obviously very clean I think it's going to be a very
long time before it needs any maintainence. One thing I did do was to cover
the clear case to prevent any light from entering it and allowing algae to
grow. I would imagine this would be true for any other reactor running on
the output of a filter. Can't help on your other questions though.
HTH,
Bob Buettner
Looking forward to a nice weekend in NW CT
http://www.home.cshore.com/luna/Fishpics/Fishpicstn.html