re: why I'm upgrading my lighting

My tank is only ten gallons.  However, it is so bushy that the glossostigma
gets shaded and is starting to show more vertical than horizontal growth.

I currently have a 17-inch JBJ power compact hood with 48 watts of light on
it, suspended from the open top of the tank about 3 inches.  The reflecting
mirror does an excellent job, so good that the light points almost
exclusively straight downward.

The tank is 20 inches wide, meaning that an inch and a half on each corner
is darker.  You can almost see a straight and dark line demarcating the
light and dark side.  Also, the part of the front does not receive its fair
share of light since the hood does not span the entire top.

I was considering buying a new 23 inch, 72 watt pcf hood that will have a
better spread over the tank.  Buying this hood will cost me another 120-130
dollars.  However, if instead I get a 20 inch, 36 watt hood, it will only
cost me an extra 60-70 bucks.

Hence my two options will either give me 72 watts of light or 84.  Getting
84 watts is cheaper so I'm leaning more toward that option than anything.

As for my reason:  I just want my glosso to grow flat, is all.