Re: Eustralis s.

In a message dated 11/7/01 3:55:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,

<< About 2 weeks ago, I attached my marvelous new M3 CO2
 system to that tank and started using Tropica fertilizer. Since
 then, the plants have been going nuts. E. stellata had the most
 dramatic transformation. It is growing strong and tall with
 lovely red leaves. >>

Soft water and CO2 plus the requisite nutrients (including lots of iron if
you like color) = excellent Eustralis S. growth underwater for me. I had a
few stems Chuck Gadd sent me a year or so back which about took over a 75gal
tank within two months.

When I tried to transfer them outside where the water is a bit harder and no
CO2 is available, they eventually just faded away. I've got them growing
emerged now to see them flower and to try sending through the mail. The
submerged growth doesn't ship real well especially in the heat of summer --
kinda like Rotalla m. I'll bet that's how they are propagated and sold
commercially -- grown emerged.  At least that what it sounds like from the
descriptions I've read of what's available. Emerged they look pretty much
like any other weed -- underwater, as with many plants, it's a different
story altogether.

Bob Olesen