Softening Water with Peat

Well, I have my 180 gallon tank percolating along, refreshingly free from
greenwater thanks to much good advice from Mr. Barr and an Aqua UV
Sterilizer.  I have hard water with a pH of approximately 7.6-7.8.  I would
like to keep Discus, and am wondering how to adjust my water accordingly.  I
have heard one can use peat, but I am unclear as to how much, how long, what
type, where do I put it etc.  Could it be put in the carbon container of the
Marineland HOT Magnum.  TIA!

Don Lee

multipart/alternative
  text/html