Re: Radiation stuff

Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 13:49:12 -0500
From: James Folsom <jamesfolsom at home_com>
Subject: Radiation lesson

Sorry to bring this up again.  But I think I can
clarify the situation
for everyone, once and for all.

The technology to be used for pasteurizing mail will
be provided by a
company called SureBeam.  They will provide it through
their parent
company Titan.

The technology is the same technology found in your
TV, Monitor,
electron microscope.  It is simply an electron gun.
Unfortuanately I
have been unable to determine what range of
acceleration voltages would
be used.  The surebeam device is designed to penetrate
the final
packaging of the product.  Surebeam provides a device
that is
integrated
into the process line.  This is different from gamma
irradiation which
requires a  specialized facility.

The electron beams can be used to generate a focused
beam of x-rays as
well.  So there is the option of using X-rays instead
of electrons.

Well according to ABCnews.com's article the beam will
almost certainly kill plants if it is able to do its
job. THey said it would not damage (I think)photos,
but could expose unexposed film. I believe that the
bottom line is that if yo are shipping plants you
should be prepared for the possibility that they will
be killed. At this point, with the situation worsening
daily, I believe being able to ship plants and fish
should be among the least of our concerns. IF this
stuff is on the mail sorters, then it is certainly in
*someone's* home. I for one say nuke all mail and all
packages until they glow (obviously being a bit
hyperbolic, so don't go ranting over that statement
and the dangers of radiation I just want to take
measures to stop the spread of this), I don't want my
kids exposed to anthrax.

The process used by the postoffice will destroy photos
and credit
cards.
 Also Baccillus anthracis spores are resistant to many
killing
processes.  I believe the Xray radiation needed to
kill the spores will
almost certaintly be lethal to all higher lifeforms.
Though I am sure
we
won't have long before we know if it kills aquarium
plants.  This could
signal the end of slipping plants across state lines
by mail unnoticed.