Gooey stuff inside spiralling diffuser

>Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 12:50:47 -0400
>From: Shireen Gonzaga <whimbrel at home_com>
>Subject: silicon sealer and CO2 - bad combination

>Yippee! I've now learnt that silicon sealant breaks down
>in the presence of the acidic CO2 water in the diffuser.

Shireen, I believe you made a mistake.  That gooey stuff
inside the spirals is probably from your yeast bottle, not
your sealant.  I have experienced the same problem before.
It happens when you put too much yeast into the solution.
One way around the problem, obviously, would be to use
less yeast but if you keep the airline inside the bottle short
by cutting it close to the cap, it will help too.

Don't throw the diffuser away.  There's an easy way to
clean the insides.  Just soak the whole thing into a bleach
solution for a few hours.  If you can't find a container
deep enough to submerge the whole diffuser, use a long plastic
bag.  I do that once in a while with my spiralling diffusers
and they come out clean as whistles after a few hours
of soaking.

Loh K L