Re: Isoetes and Crassula

> Tom, that was like two months ago!

Well, sometimes I'm looking for one thing and find another. Least I found
something. Crassula aquatica also uses CAM pathway for CO2 uptake. I think
that's it for the vernal pool plants. Now if they'll just let me add CO2
enrichment into one to see what happens:) It's going to happen sometime.
I'm curious to the responses of the CAM plants to higher CO2 levels.

> But since I have your attention... I was
> reading some material about photosynthesis, and it was discussing a type of
> bacteria that photosynthesises hydrogen sulfide instead of O2...

Try this link for bacterial stuff:
http://www.bact.wisc.edu/Bact102/102pnsb.html
They (WI) also has good plant links.
Basically, purple and green stuff = photosynthetic (with a heterotrophic
option to use other things for food). Black stuff that we have is not
photosynthetic. I haven't done an ID but could rather easily to ID which
bacteria it is. Maybe later. I've done ID-ing of unknown bacterial cultures
in the past a number of times. Algae is worse in some respects. Especially
the LRGT's(Little round green things... under 20 microns).

I forget the
> name of the bacteria, I'dhave to check my notes...wait here it is,
> archaebacteria: mud dwelling bacteria releases rotten egg smell when
> releasing sulfide instead of oxygen.  Is this bacteria present in aquariums
> when we have a sulfide build up?

Maybe. Give me a couple of months:-) I'll tell you all about it then:-) I'm
still working on benthic diatoms. Biofilms and benthic aquatic bacteria are
somewhere in there but that's later. I do pore water core sampling now but
it's more related to algae, not the bacteria. It's real fun:-) Smelly mud.
Tom Barr