Re:duckweed

Teresa (TD7894 at aol_com) wrote:
> Hello, as long as we have a duckweed thread, how about those of us like me

> > who have pounds and sheets of the normal variety?  Anybody got a hint on
> how
> > to remove it more efficiently than just scooping it out with hands or
> net?

The *best* control I've ever had for duckweed is a simple
goldfish.  One of my children won it at a school fair, and
I put it in my 180g.  It ate duckweed around the clock,
and went from a little trim 1" to a whopping 4" round gold
ball in a few months when all the duckweed was gone.

Remember, this is ONE fish that not only ate a huge pile
of duckweed in a large tank (180g), but also went faster
than the (very high) duckweed growth.

BTW, he left the frogbit (Limnobium sp.) and Salvinia sp.
alone.  I don't know if that's normal or not.

I can't establish duckweed again, so he's got to make do
with flake food.  I can't get rid of him because he's
affectionately a part of the family, named "Swimmer #4".

--charley
charleyb at cytomation_com