Re: Excel

>>I was actually hoping that someone would tell me what this was in
context with a planted tank. Is it fertilizer? Algae destroyer? a kind of
fish? a substrate? a filter? I've never heard of it outside of MicroSoft.<<
Olga

Little more user fiendly than Microsoft... Seachems Excel, organic carbon.
As Greg Morin once explained it to me:

How does Excel add carbon to the water?
As a simple, low molecular weight organic compound.

> Can you please define photosynthetic intermediates and explain the
process?
Photosynthetic intermediates includes compounds such as ribulose
1,5-bisphosphate, 3-phosphogylcerate, 2-carboxy-3-keto-D-arabinitol 1,5
bisphosphate. Although the names are complicated, the structures  are quite
simple (3, 5, & 6 carbon chains). Flourish Excel does not contain these
specific compounds per se, but one that is quite similar. It is in its
structural similarity that Flourish Excel is  able to be utilized in the
carbon chain building process of
photosynthesis. Simple chemical or enzymatic steps can easily convert  it to
any one of the above named compounds (or a variety of others).  endquote
http://www.aquabotanic.com/carbon.html

Robert Paul H
http://www.aquabotanic.com