Re: Anyone have Walstad's book?

Victor wrote:

>I was wondering if anyone has Diana Walstad's book Ecology of the Planted
>Aquarium?  I was thinking of picking up a copy but I wanted to get some
>impressions of the book.

IMHO, I think it is an excellent book written with intelligence and packed
with thought-inspiring information.  It caters to the "low-tech" type of
tank: low light, soil substrate, no injected CO2, and ferts through fish
food.  The assertions made by the author are backed up by sound scientific
method so far as I'm able to judge, and the practical application of the
science is highlighted in Q&A sidebars, so it's not just science for
science's sake.  The book is extremely readable as well.  I devoured it in
an afternoon and have gone back several times to savor the tasty bits.

Despite the fact that the emphasis is on low tech, I think anyone
interested in aquatic plants and "natural" aquaria can get a lot out of
this book.  It will disappoint you if you're looking for a book full of
pretty pictures and tips on aquascaping, but if the scientific side of this
hobby piques your interest then you will probably enjoy this book as much
as I have (and still do!).  It looks good on a coffee table to boot :)

Try the archives for formerly posted opinions:
http://www.actwin.com/fish/aquatic-plants/search.html

regards,
Chuck

Chuck Huffine