From: "Davy Cleys" <davy.cleys at skynet_be>
To: <Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com>
Subject: HELP! Stray voltage and grounding probes
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 21:58:06 +0200

Hello all,
I have a fully automated CO2 system in my new tank
with a very
sensitive
pH-sensor (accuracy 0.01).

Whenever the fluorescents light come on, I am not
longer able to get a
stable pH-reading from the sensor. The readings go
back and forth
between pH
6.80 and 6.85 while switching CO2 supply on and off
almost continuously
(switch hysteresis is 0.05). I attribute the cause for
this to stray
voltages induced by the lighting (hood or fluorescent
tubes?). My
neighbour
electrician says that it must come from the tubes
since the hood has an
electronic ballast with capacitors... (whatever that
may be...)

When I put a copper electricity wire into my tank and
connect it to the
grounding eyelet of my electricity socket, the
pH-readings become very
stable again, only changing very slowly as CO2 escapes
back into the
air
(the tank has no plants or fish yet). Of course the
copper wire can
only be
a very temporary solution since it is probably /
definately leaking
copper
into the water...

So my question is where I can find a good quality
grounding probe that
does
not leak any heavy metals into the water and that can
resist corrosion
and,
above all, which is safe to use (e.g. no water leaking
into electricity
socket via wire insulation). Does anyone know of a
(possibly European)
source of good grounding probes?

Any suggestions?

Davy Cleys