Re: low light

> Tom Barr wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > But if it's the NO3 you should have problems from adding the KNO3? Now
> > > take this a step further and consider NH4+. It's pretty toxic but I'm
> going
> > > to try this one next(after I remove everything besides the snails).
> > [snip]
> >
> > No one seems to want to answer this question: if you dose NH4 with
> > a product like amquel, can you eliminate its toxicity?
> >
> > Please keep us filled in on what happens, Tom. I'm guessing that
> > you expect an algae outbreak?
> >
> > - -- Stephen

My 2 cents...

My tanks are usually low light, (only ambient/indirect sunlight, or <
2watts/gal.)
I find a correlation of fertilizing to algae breakout (R=0.91772) when I
fertilize
as instructed by the manufacturer (Dupla, Tetra, etc.).

I'm certain it's a balance issue, and low light tanks simply aren't as
productive
(able to capitalize on available nutrients as effectively).  I find algae is
a rather
poor competitor when the plants have good circulation and are somewhat
healthy.  However, in my case, the algae seems to be picking up the slack
when I add fertilizer (big nutrient spike in short time, my plants don't
respond
that fast).  Maybe I just have lazy plants.  Maybe they are watching me, and
I'm a bad role model.  I'll keep a lookout for a motivated plant that can
set
a better example.

I haven't noticed a toxicity issue, but I admit I haven't been checking and
my loads are usually low.  However, the more toxic nitrogen forms (like
ammonia) are typically those most easily taken up by plants.  So, if you
have at least a couple successful plant species in there, I'd guess it isn't
too big an issue.

I'm assuming this would not be as big an issue if I convince my wife we
need MH lighting.  ;-))

Green water, thread algae, little spots, etc.  I can presently make any kind

of algae I want.  ;-))

--charley
charleyb at cytomation_com