re: Intro and ?

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply.  Your description of adding to my substrate is very
helpful as are your other answers.

I agree that my KH and pH are too high.  The KH is as it is right from my
tap.  We have a developed spring as a water source.  Ph is 7.2 freshly drawn
but jumps to 8 in 24 hours then settles to 7.8 once nitrogen cycle is
complete.  I about drove myself nuts trying to lower the pH the first month
I had my tank set up. Finally tested the KH and discovered why I am having
trouble.  All the fish and pond people told me not to mess with it anymore
and I've not had any trouble.  I use Proper pH7 in my tank which helps keep
it at 7.8.  I am concerned that I will have iron absorption problems in a
planted tank if I don't lower the pH.  I've found I do have to periodically
dose my potted terrestrial plants with Miracid to keep them from getting
chlorotic.

I would like more info/examples/stories of peat filtering or even putting
peat in the substrate.

Some more questions that have come up today:

Has anyone tried using greensand or kelp in the substrate?  Both would
supply K and trace minerals.

Can fertilizers like Pondtabs be placed in the substrate?

My plants really greened up yesterday and today with the increased light.  I
also turned my filter off during the day.

Thanks!
Terry King