Re: CO2

> Moral:  Technology has its limits.  Calibrate the pH controller every two
> weeks.
>
> Observation:  SAE/Whiptails are Canaries for CO2 excess.

I have one client that uses one. I never have used one personally nor is it
needed. So many of the techy folks here on this list and elsewhere think a
controller is the best thing........well this guy's story can and does
happen. Buy a monitor instead. Cost less and doesn't mess things up when it
has errors  unless _you_ alter the flow of CO2 do something actively to the
system. You can use one monitor to spot check many tanks and since your
using it only for readings your more likely to check the
readings/calibration. A controller doesn't make your tank or your life any
better.

Now if someone has a CO2 system with a pH monitor overdosing would not
happen unless you actively raised your CO2 flow rate to make up for the
difference. You would have to adjust this flow manually. Not a bad idea.
Perhaps you might even calibrate it since things seem a little off(always
suspect the testing equipment). Needle valves are more reliable than
controllers,us,soliniods and probes.
 A good CO2 system will keep the CO2/pH level close with no need for a
controller. It really is a waste of $ for our purposes. Another thing that
bugs me about them is that you need to set the gas flow rate higher than a
non controller tanks so it can throttle between pH readings. Now if this
system doesn't stop, say the soliniod sticks or the pH probe falls
out/drifts to one side, then there's going to be too much CO2. This sytem is
set to overdose and the controller/soliniod is the only stopping point. Then
there's lag time responses between readings and actualization in the tank.
And another 100$ cost or more. Even if I had unlimited $, no thanks.

The best results I have seen are using a pH monitor and a good CO2 system
with good current(well mixed tank, good CO2 delivery).
Regards,
Tom Barr