Re: Algae Observations

I recently had a plague of stringy green algae at the bottom of my 65 gallon
planted tank (CO2, CF light, TMG). This was at a time when I had many outside
obligations that kept me away from normal tank maintenance, particularly
pulling out dead leaves, mulm, any dead fish, etc. I started back with my
normal routine and got all the decaying matter out of the tank and surprise,
the algae is going away. It didn't look bad at all when my maintenance
routine was interrupted, but I had a bunch of dead leaves hidden away behind
wood and growing plants, with dead sword leaves still on the plant facing the
back of the tank. This obviously released a bunch of nutrients in the tank
which the algae used to grow. I am really to blame for this algae outbreak
this time because I was not as vigilant as I should have been. Just a
reminder to others that we can avoid some algae problems if we get the
dead/dying stuff out of the tank before it decays.
Dave