Re: Lobelia & Goldfish

"Lobelia is a known poisonous plant. All parts of the plant are deemed toxic
to people and pets. What I can't determine though, is how fish are affected
when they injest it ..."

Some Lobelias contain the alkaloid "lobeline" which has effects similar to
nicotine. Injestion can cause sweating, vomiting, paralysis, depressed
temperature, coma and death.

Many members of the Campanulaceae family have acrid, milky sap. This can be
a skin and mucous membrane irritant and can cause contact dermatitis, but it
isn't known what chemicals in the sap are the cause of the problem.

I don't know if fish are affected by these chemicals.

James Purchase
Toronto