Re: Hair Algae

> Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 12:58:32 -0700
> From: Thomas Barr <tcbiii at earthlink_net>
> Subject: Re: Hair algae
>
> fish. You got some CO2 issues going on I'd bet.

Not enough?  Going by the KH, pH, CO2 chart, though not 100% accurate would
put me in the general range.

> CO2 and macro's(NPK) and they will. You may need more Traces.

I had thought of that but that would also raise the iron and that has been
thought to be a culprit for algae growth.

> > Here is some recent water test data (ppm)
> >
> > Fe        NO3        PO4        PMDD        K2SO4
> > .08        2.4        .1                6ml              12ml
> > .11        2.2                            6                  12
> > .14        2.3                            4                   8
> > .13        1.7         .1                4                   8
> > .12        1.7                            4                   8
> > .11        2.1                            3                   6
> > .09        2.2         .1                0                   0  20% WC
> > .07        2.0         .1                0                   0

> Is this weekly readings or daily? Looks too stable to me. Nothings growing
> (being used up) it seems.

Daily.

My thoughts exactly.  Can't figure out why I can't drive the photosynthesis?

>Yet algae is growing on plants in 3-4 days fast? >Something is not right
here. I'll you figure that one out.

Ideas?

> point? I think a qualitative approach to your iron would be a better
method.
> I use a factor of 10 times more iron(as a base for micro's, I use TMG and
or
> SeaChem) and P than you do.
> And I don't have algae issues..........

What are you suggesting as a target iron content?
TMG?

> CO2, NO3 and K. I bet if you added some KH2PO4 to that tank it would grow

What is KH2PO4?

> flow rates all the time? Canisters are good but check them to be sure.

What kind of filtration do you use?

Thanks for the advice

Dave