Re: Roots

> Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 22:24:07 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Cavan <millsman7 at yahoo_com>
> Subject: Re: red tendrills
>
> I'm positive they aren't roots.  They don't look or
> feel like them.  No fine hairs or anything.  Other
> roots on the plant are white.  Smooth to the touch.
> Weird.  I guess I could send them to you if you want.

They are roots. If it's the red type of this plant.......
The two types(green and red) are quite different in many aspects. They do
look strange. The roots do not branch until they submerse into the
substrate. Many plants put out roots underwater yet will not emmersed at the
internodes. A vascular structure comparison of these different roots would
be an interesting endeavor, not to mention what mechanisms control this.
It's of interest to see about this same question even within a submersed
plant like this. The roots are pretty different when they are first put out
before they find the substrate. Then they change. Follow one down and you'll
see. After it plunges into the gravel and you pull it out it will have small
white hairs. Above the substrate though it has red color and rough texture
etc. I would suppose that this is to protect it from the harsh conditions
above the soil. Pretty cool that a plant can sense all of these different
things happening in it's environment and respond to them. Aquatic plants are
extremely adaptable.

When the red one grows, it really gets going fast. It likes more NO3 than
the green. Kind of weird for a red plant. It's a very nice/suitable red fine
needled plant for plant tanks. Does better in higher lighting. It will stunt
in many cases but it will come back after being left alone for awhile. The
green type will also but it's easier to cultivate. Both can grow very fast.
A good reference is in Kasslemann's book.
Regards,
Tom Barr