Re: Otos in love and other sordid tales [OT]

Chuck H  wrote:
> If anyone has any suggestions on the care and feeding of oto fry,
> I'd be very grateful.

Can you describe other tank parameters like temperature,
amount of water circulation, pH, etc? That's so neat, having
them breed in your tank!

I'm no otto expert, but I found your post really interesting
and decided to take a quick work break and search google.

From http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/oto-affi.htm
   "Eggs are laid on the leaves of plants and hatch in about 3
    days. Provide plenty of algae, green food and tiny
    particulate foods, such as the liquid suspension types, for the
    fry."

I'm wondering if you could make a liquid food supplement
for them, something rich in protein to help growth? Or make
some green water? (There may be some recipes at the live food
list at http://www.actwin.com/fish/live-foods/ )
Or buy a liquid food at your LFS. (I forget the company that
makes it, but there's two types, one for livebearers and another
for egg-layers. If you have difficulty finding some, let me know
and I'll try to find some for you.)

A few websites mention that breeding is similar to corydoras
cats. There's a nice otto page that has a link to how to breed
corys at http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/otto.htm#bred

Hope that's useful and please keep us updated. They are
adorable little fellas, those ottos, and I'd love to try breeding
them someday too.

cheers,
    shireen

--