Re: more about Clout

Dan wrote:
>Basically all behaviors indicating problems disappeared within days
>after I first began using CLOUT ... but not forever - they
>unfortunately returned after about 3 or 4 weeks. I immediately began
>to treat the tank again with CLOUT, but this time with no apparent
>success. I continued the treatment for 6 days (9 tabs per day, which
>is even a higher dose than the instructions recommend for a 90g tank),
>but the fish continued to flick against plants and rocks. Eventually I
>decided that it simply wasn't working and discontinued treatments.

Hey Dan,

Sorry to hear about the recurrence of flicking.  I don't know much about
Clout and I've never used it, but it sounds like it's designed only for
parasite and protozoa control.  I wonder if your problem might be bacterial
or fungal in nature rather than parasitic.  I wonder because I once
inherited a shoal of Tiger barbs that exhibited the exact same condition
you describe -- flicking without any other visible sign of malady.  No
parasites, no sores, nothing.  So what did I do?

Well, before aquiring the barbs, I had unwittingly purchased a trio of
infected Black Sail Corys which developed finrot during the quarantine
period, so I had purchased some broad spectrum ("shotgun") anti-bacterial
and anti-fungal treatments for them.  I thought, "what the heck", and
tossed the tigers into the quarantine tank with the corys and dosed them
with two Mardel products: Trisulfa tablets and MarOxy liquid.  Trisulfa is
an anti-bacterial remedy and MarOxy is an anti-fungal remedy.  Corys and
Tigers alike showed positive response to the treatment within a couple or
three days.  Though the fish seemed much better after the first 5-day
course of treatment, I gave them a second course of the Trisulfa anyway
(MarOxy says not to use for more than 5 days so I did not use it during the
2nd course).  None of the fish showed any sign of stress whatsoever during
treatment.  I'm not sure which of the two medicines cured the Tigers, but
the flicking never returned and they are healthy and happy to this day.

Unfortunately, since I used a quarantine tank, I can't say what affect the
Mardel stuff might have on plants or inverts like snails and shrimp.  But,
really, my goal isn't to promote the Mardel stuff so much as to offer the
idea that maybe it's not parasites that afflict your fish.

BTW, I have no affiliation with Mardel.  I just had a good experience with
their products.

Best of luck,
Chuck

Chuck Huffine