Re: Plastic Bobbie Pins & Black Eggcrate

Ivo Busko wrote:

"Where did you find this black plastic eggcrate? I'm looking for someting
like
that to build a planted  background, but the only ones I can find are either
white or aluminized. Can't you use garbage bag ties for attaching the
anubias?
The kind that is thin, and preferably black or dark green."

I called around to some plastics supply places asking for it, no luck at
first. Then I called some lighting supply houses and one of them referred me
back to one of the smaller plastics supply places that I hadn't called
earlier. So try both types of businesses until you find it. They were able
to get it from their Houston warehouse as part of a stock transfer order, so
I didn't have to pay shipping. It was about $12 per sheet. It's the same
thing as the 2x4 sheet of white eggcrate you can get at Home Despot, just
black. Be sure to specify the 1/2" rib spacing, if that is what you want,
because it also comes in larger spacing. Also, lifereef.com will cut and
sell it to you for $4 per square foot (last time I checked), plus shipping.
Yeah, by zipties I mean something like the all plastic garbage bag ties,
zipties are used to bundle electrical wiring. It's what I'll probably use,
but I was hoping for something a little easier, I've got over a dozen plants
to place. BTW, in my tank I planted the eggcrate with h. difformis. The
eggcrate stands 1" off the back and side walls of the tank and starts and
stops about 4" above the gravel and 4" below the water surface. The water
return is routed through a perforated pipe behind the eggcrate so that it
washes over the roots of the difformis on its way into the tank. This tank
can go nutrient deficient in a hurry. I have found that the difformis shades
itself so much that only the top half of the eggcrate is now covered by it,
hence the desire to plant the lower half with anubias. I'm hoping that the
shade of the difformis above will keep green spot algae from forming on the
anubias leaves.

HTH,

Tom Wood
Austin, Texas, USA