Re: BBA

> Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 12:34:17 -0400
> From: "Baker, Anthony" <anthony_baker at merck_com>
> Subject: Algae and color temp?
>
> Anyone have experience with increased BBA when using the GE 9320 K lamps
> that come with the All Glass 48" 110 watt strip?  I am battling a bad case
> of BBA and am wondering if the color temp of the bulbs is a contributing
> factor.

The short answer is no.  Lighting has very little to do with it, but perhaps
a tiny itsy bitsy bit. Namely this is a natural thing to get the first jump
but if you add enough plants from the start and take of things in your tank
the algae does not ever get any chance. Both plants and algae can make
carotenoids to absorb specific wavelengths. Plants and algae already have a
certain set of pigments at the start but can make new ones to adjust to the
lighting source. Those plants that have ones already at a specific light
wavelength need not use extra energy to do this while some other plant might
need too. It's not a lot of energy really, but enough to get a jump in
nature is some cases. But if they have enough intensity coming in they don't
have to make the extra pigments to absorb to catch every little bit of light
etc. Some make pigments for protection from excess light etc. This is
interesting from a natural perspective but it seems a loser to worry about
here. Stick with 5000K to 6700K stuff and if you want add a blue higher K
bulb like a triton/gro lux etc for 4-6 hours a day etc.
 Namely this is a much more a marine issue. Let's leave it there for the
salt folks:-)

> I will post other tank specifics if the algae and nutrient gurus on the list
> have time to help.  I am planning on ordering some SAE's tomorrow if the
> company isn't too back logged.

SAE will help. Let me guess, you have DIY CO2 on a larger tanks than a 20
gallon? A funny thing happens when folks get a gas system CO2 tank. They do
not have many algae problems or at the very least, they are greatly reduced.
DIY can be done but folks get lazy or have trouble etc.

To keep the BBA from coming back keep your CO2 up high, keep your macro
nutrients in a good range. You should trim off any BBA you can and new
growth will fill back in. Try to remove as much as you first then a water
change/filter cleaning and then check your CO2 real good.

Did you check the archives? Do so if not. There's a ton of stuff on almost
every site on this algae.
Regards,
Tom Barr