Re: Serious Insect problem

> Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 21:02:02 -0400
> From: June Oshiro <idlewild at rci_rutgers.edu>

> I was doing a water change and noticed what looked like a swarm of bubbles
> that you see right when you pour a soda.  I looked closely, and they are a
> thousand million little INSECTS living on the surface of my tank!  They
> range from pale brown to pale red, are about 0.5 mm long, and jump easily
> across the water surface.  Ugh.  It's disgusting.  What are they?  How do I
> get rid of them!?!

Hi June,

I used to have this problem too. It's interesting to
hear Paul put a name on this bug, I've been wondering
about it too!

It took me about a month to get rid of it. The most
important strategy is persistence. First I made sure
there were no surfaces for the critters to cling to, by
removing all my frogbit and other floating plants.
Whenever possible, I tried to manually remove them
by skimming them off the top of the water with a
cup or net, and made sure that my tank water level
was topped up as much as possible.

I finally won the bug battle. But it took some work.
I didn't mind tho' ... working on my tanks bonds me
with my fish. Well, actually, it's a one way bond.
I doubt they shared the sentiment. As far as those
dear little brats are concerned, my only function in
life is to feed them. :-)

cheers,
        Shireen

--