Fertilizer pump fix...

Sort of off topic, but sort of on topic.  Sort of out of our realm of
knowledge, but sort of not...  anyway...

I've picked up a cheap used IV pump that I want to convert for use as a
fertilizer pump.  Everything seems great, except it keeps thinking the fluid
isn't flowing.  Somehow I need to fool or disconnect the flow meter.  It
seems that the flow meter is an optical sensor next to the pump head.  Can I
just open it up and disconnect it?  Can I somehow fool it into seeing the
flow?  Any ideas how this thing works?  Any ideas how to make it work?

Thanks,
John