Nitrate test

I have been thinking that there isn't a good,
inexpensive nitrate test kit on the market.
Specifically a test that accurately measures at lower
levels (0-10ppm) and costs less than 25$.

So I am interested in making my own.  I have enlisted
a chemist who is willing (possibly) to tackle this.

Questions that I wish to throw out to the group:

1) is there a need for this kind of test?
2) what anions are commonly found in aquarium water?
(cl-, hco3-, ...?)

Arthur
http://www.geocities.com/anwestover