nitrates, phosphates, algae and CO2

John Glaeser wrote some very good thoughts including:

"Take the driftwood out and scrape off the algae and rinse well."

My suggestion would be - Take the driftwood out and throw it away. Or, at
least, store it until your tank is like the way you want it. Dead stuff in
your tank is algae food. Driftwood is dead stuff. I'm one of, well, one, on
this group that believes this way about driftwood. But my tank doesn't have
dead stuff in it and it doesn't have algae.

Tom