water changes

following the recent Susi Barber/Roger Miller thread, I noticed one thing in
particular,,, water change volume.
I currently shoot for about a 40% change weekly on my 55 display.
I dose CO2 via 5lb cylinder (1-2bbls/sec) and add approx 1/4 tsp KSO4 (?)
twice weekly.  No other nutrients are added.  I still cont to have high
Nitrate levels and spot algae out the "ying yang", as well as periodic
growht of hair and fuzz algaes.
I dose the K to keep the PO4 down.  It is very high in tap.
My quest: would it be adviseable to decrease weekly water change volume when
I am not reconstituting my water as much as many ppl are? Or, is it better
to continue large volume changes?
It seems that a lower volume change would allow PO4 levels to rise due to
feeding.  (altho I really don't feed much at all) - like to keep the lil
buggers hungry, so I know where they are at all times ;-P
I don't test much, but my Nitrates generally range around 15-20ppm.  I am
getting in a new Eheim CO2 diffuser and upgrading my lighting to PC this
month, this should help the plants to use more of the nitrogen and hopefully
alleviate the spot algae problems!
Just wondering,
Joe