Re: Moss species for James

Paul K. mentioned mosses of the Genus Mnium as being potential candidates
for use in an aquarium. Thanks Paul.

I accessed the online key from the Bryophyte Flora of North America at
http://www.nybg.org/bsci/bfna/keytable.html, and looked for listings for
Fontinalis, Vesicularia and Mnium. Here is what it says.....
-------
48. Plants aquatic, occurring submerged at least part of the year; leaves
keeled or flat. Fontinalis

62. Lateral and dorsal leaves differentiated in areolation; stems pinnately
branched. Vesicularia

303. No leaves with lamellae; costa with or without a single stereid band;
exostome of 16 free teeth.  Mnium
-------

Looks like you really DO need to be an expert to figure these things out....
<g>

In an effort to see if I could find out more about this Mnium moss, I
checked both the USDA Plant Database and the ITIS Database. I wanted to see
where, in relation to both Fontinalis and Vesicularia, bryologists place the
moss in the greater scheme of things and to check on the validity of the
name and the various species. I couldn't locate any listing in either of
these sources for the species name given by Paul - Mnium punctatum. I did
find others though (listed below).

From USDA Plant Database [http://www.itis.usda.gov/access.html]:
Kingdom  Plantae -- Plants
 Division  Bryophyta -- Mosses
  Subdivision  Musci
   Class  Bryopsida -- True mosses
    Subclass  Bryidae
     Order  Bryales
      Family  Mniaceae
       Genus  Mnium Hedw. -- mnium calcareous moss
     Order  Isobryales
      Family  Fontinalaceae
       Genus  Fontinalis Hedw. -- fontinalis moss
     Order  Hypnales
      Family  Hypnaceae
       Genus  Vesicularia (C. Müll.) C. Müll. -- vesicularia moss