Re: UV Sterilizer Bulb

> Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:51:00 -0700
> From: Dave Kotschi <dkotschi at mindspring_com>
>
> Does a UV sterilizer bulb degrade?  I seem to remember reading that
> flourescent bulbs work by giving off uv light which is tranformed into
> light with other properties by the coating inside the glass tube.  So does
> a bulb with no coating gives off uv light?  What's there to degrade?  I
> suspect someone's going to give me a very good reason why they do degrade
> so my next question is where can I get bulbs for a Rainbow sterilizer CHEAP?

The filament coatings wear out, and there is some kind of degradation
due to migration of the mercury that I can't remember the details.

It's probably a generic germicidal lamp, and you can get them from
your friendly neighborhood electrical supplier.  You might also check
at a barber supply store cuz they use germicidal lamps.  Some UV lamps
are designed to put out light at ~180 nm as well as ~260nm and
generate a lot of ozone.  I don't know if that's what you want or
not.  Take your old lamp to the electrical supplier and order a new
one from its numbers.

Best regards,
Bob