Re: Discus, Angels and the planted tank

> Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 15:30:34 -0400
> From: "Daphne Freeman" <daphne.freeman at home_com>
>
> Finally got around to reading George Booth's article on discus in the
latest
> PAM.  Great article George.

Thanks!

> It also
> seems like I remember you mentioning getting rid of the angels but didn't
> say why.  Did you have problems with them?

We had eight juveniles to start with. They all grew up nicely ... then two
sets of pairs formed and pretty much killed the other four. It's sad to see
a lovely, full grown angel jammed into a corner of the tank behind Anubias
nose first into the gravel trying to hide. Then the two pairs began to spar
for territory. It's surprising to see a large angel turn on it's side and
make screaming attack across the tank into the other male. Not quite the
peaceful and calm tank we were hoping for. Should call them Devil Fish.

We went to Rainbows after that.

Discus have the same problems but not quite as bad. Get a bunch to start
with and plan to cull the less attractive and submissive fish.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, CO (booth at frii dot com)
  The website for aquatic gardeners by aquatic gardeners
    Major updates in July '01! On-line book, articles and tech briefs
      http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/