Re: Plant problems

> Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 11:23:14 -0400
> From: "Mike Brown" <michaelbrown_ at hotmail_com>
> Subject: Plant Problems
>
> Recently several of my plants have been doing things that have gotten me
> confused.  A couple of my plants including the valisneria and the hygrophila
> difformis have producing new leaves that are white.  The val leaves are
> almost completely white, while the hygro has white patches on the new green
> leaves.  The reason that this is confusing is that I fertilize with both a
> trace element mix as well as an iron supplement.  My two echinodorus bleheri
> plants are dark green, but the new leaves are kind of difformed and curled a
> little, but still just as large as the others. I just can't figure out what
> i'm doing wrong.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks, Mike.

What's your NO3? Are the leaves melting anywhere etc? It does sound like NO3
to me. Whitish color and poor growth on fast growers. The sword is getting
more food and has more roots to get anything in the substrate that might not
be available(or as available) to the Hygro etc. How hard is the water? GH?
A water change and some GH and KNO3 would most likely "cure" it. Ca is
immobile and would produce some of what your seeing and the NO3 could also.
Are you adding a fair amount of traces? You may need more. ??So if you go
down the line, NO3?, Ca?->GH, and traces? Somewhere in there lies your
answer most likely.
Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,