Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 16:43:46 -0400
From: "Alysoun McLaughlin"
<alysoun.mclaughlin at ncsl_org>
Subject: Re: Amano shrimp

GWAPA, the new Washington, D.C. aquatic plant group
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gwapa), is doing a bulk
order of Amano
shrimp
this weekend.

I've never kept them because the ghost shrimp that
I've put into my
tank
have been... well, expensive live food for dwarf
cichlids and bettas.
don't mind that at less than 10 cents a pop, but I
don't plan to throw
that
kind of money away on Amano shrimp.  Now, however, I'm
moving and might
set
up, for the first time in a while, multiple tanks for
different kinds
of
fish and plants.  That would allow me to keep the
shrimp with "safe"
fish.

So here's the question... what's a "safe" fish to keep
with these
shrimp?  I
know dwarf cichlids are out, and I've watched female
bettas track down
and
slurp up good-sized ghost shrimp.  I imagine that a
larger gourami
would as
well, but I don't remember whether dwarf gouramis did
or not.  Congo
tetras
bite hard enough that I probably wouldn't risk it.
Smaller tetras,
though,
I'm sure would be fine.  I imagine that larger loaches
are out of the
question.  How about the smaller botia striata?  The
platies that I've
got
breeding like mad in a container outside?  Other
suggested/proscribed
fish?

Alysoun McLaughlin
Wheaton, MD