Re: Dupla or Dennerle substrate heater cables?

Re methods:

You have good ideas. I offer some meager comments.

I'm no engineer but I would think that thermistors would be needed
instead of, for example, J or K  thermocouples  for the precision
necessary to detect temp diffs a few inches apart under water.
Thermistors' strong points are fine precision while thermocouple excel
with wide range of temps.  Range isn't much of an issue here.  The
equipment wouldn't be cheap -- (http://www.omega.com).

Question:  Could an aniline dye (such as malachite green) be used to
assess convction?  How would one control for dissociation or osmotic
diffusion when trying to measure convection?