Re: Liquid CO2

James wrote that "compressed gas is the most economical and easiest long
term solution toadding carbon to an aquarium". How about simply using
peat in the substrate? cheap and easy! As it decomposes, it will provide
carbon too. I believe that Diana Walstad has a lot to say about natural
C sources in her book, "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium". She also warns
about the problems of toxicity. Sometimes plants grow best on substrates
whch are the least toxic. High iron concentration with organic
substrates should be avoided although humus and peat may adsorb the
metal ions. In my experience, certain plants grow better initially and
then the soil & peat tanks age and become more suitable for all plants.
Crypts are quite tolerant as is Alternanthera and Bacopa.
--
Steve Pushak                              Vancouver, BC, CANADA

Visit "Steve's Aquatic Page"      http://home.infinet.net/teban/