Re: algae and Excel

>Bill wrote:
>
>  > Does any one have any experience with excel reducing the growth
>of algae in > your tanks. I have been using it for about 3 or 4
>weeks, since that time
>  > algae seems to have cut back quite a bit. I read some past post
>about excel > that say (you need to read between the lines) I guess
>I just didn't get
>>  it.
>
>Say what?
>
>Seachem doesn't advertise that it reduces algae growth.  If it did then
>I expect they would promote it that way.  Furthermore, I see no reason
>why it should reduce algae growth.

Hypothetically speaking, if a company were to determine a product had
algaecidal properties and wished to promote said properties, then
that company would be required to register said product with the EPA
as outlined under FIFRA (Federal Insecticide Fungicide and
Rodenticide Act). The regulatory, paperwork and cost burden
associated with registration would be disproportionately burdensome
to some companies, thus a cost/benefit analysis suggests it makes no
logical sense to expend a disproportionate share of resources and
money on a product solely for promotional reasons that represents an
extremely minute share of the total revenue of said company. If the
company does not promote said properties then registration is not
necessary.

-Greg Morin