Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #1214

       From: CDELAHUNT at aol_com
       Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 23:39:12 EDT

In a message dated 8/13/01 4:30:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Aquatic-Plants-Owner at ActWin_com writes:

<< I have found it useful to collect microworms from the culture with wet
 paper strips that I stick to the walls of the culture.  The microworms
 climb up on the paper much more readily than they will climb up the bare
 walls.  I pull off the strips, dangle them in a cup of water, and the
 microworms all fall off into the water and settle out.  They can then be
 sucked up with an eyedropper and put in the aquarium.  You can get a lot
 more microworms out of a culture using the wet paper strips.

>>This is an interesting tip which I will try, but I was just wondering why you
don't just dip the strip directly into the aquarium?  I always scrape the
side with a little paintbrush handle, and then just dip this into the water
-- am I unknowingly exposing my fish to bacteria or anything like that?
Thanks,
Catherine>>

I invented the technique when my parents had me in a military school (high
school) and I was only home on weekends.  Asking my mother to wipe
microworms off with her fingers was a little much, and so I worked out the
paper strip technique.  My mother could pick up the paper strips with
tweezers and dangle them in aquariums.

Dipping the strips in a glass or cup of water and then sucking up the worms
with an eyedropper allows you to meter out the dose more accurately.  Also,
the worms are cleaner since a lot of soluble organics that also came off
the paper strip are now dispersed in the water, most of which is not going
in the aquarium.

Paul Krombholz, AKA Aquatic-Plants-Owner at ActWin_com