Re: More shrimp questions...

 >>I'm starting to wonder, since I've heard some things about these shrimp
not being particularly hardy, would it be a good idea to just buy, say,
five or so and see if I can keep them alive? <<

This is almost exactly what I did. Though they're cheapest in threes from
my LFS, I got only one to "test the waters," so to speak. I put it in my
10-gallon and after it had molted once or twice with no problems, I added
three more. Like I said, I only lost one from this tank, and probably to
jumping. I'd never kept a shrimp as a pet, so I wanted to see how it would
work out. Personally, I wasn't really interested in getting more than the
one, but after a while, I just found him to be too cool, and so did my
husband ;o)

I got a lot of good info from the following:
http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/shrimp.html

You'll have to sort through the numerous posts, but I think the stuff about
C. japonica is primarily contributed by George Booth, and his "forwarding"
of information from Shinji Egi. I don't remember if it was covered there,
but I believe I read somewhere that excessive hardness or softness of water
can affect the development of their new exoskeletons after molting, so
here's another reason why you'd want to test out a few before investing in
a bunch.

-Naomi