Re: Rising GH and KH

Cavan,
> From: Cavan <millsman7 at yahoo_com>
> Subject: Rising GH and KH?!
>
> I have been running two yeast co2 bottles... Recently, the co2
> production from both bottles has declined drastically
> and the ph risen after 3 or 4 days!  This is the quick
> rise yeast.  The regular kind did not produce enough
> co2.  Alternating renewal of the the bottles has not
> helped.

If you are using RO water in CO2 mix add 1 teaspoon of baking soda to
buffer. If memory serves me, that is a K Randall recommendation. I am using
2L bottles and the same recipe as you describe with added soda. Mix last 4
weeks with the usual production fall off as it ages.
Other thing, which you probably have done but I will mention any way, is
check yeast for loss of potency. The most reliable yeast I have found, for
CO2 and baking :>, is "saf-instant" found in some warehouse and most
specialty baking stores. It comes in 500g pks. It will maintain  original
potency  almost forever by freezing all but your small, refrigerated
working container.
I have had to be very careful using 2L bottles of this yeast/recipe in tanks
20 gal or smaller to avoid inducing CO2 toxicity in fish.

June