Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #1205

(snip)
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 06:30:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Scott <zerelli at yahoo_com>
Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #1203

Holy cow those are expenxive! What do they do that
makes them worth so much, partial water changes?
Seriously though, for a third as much I will take
H.O.T. Magnums any day. You could get two of those for
the lowest ever price on the Eheims and still afford
to eat out somewhere after ;-).

Scott
(snip)

Scott,
I don't know how familiar you are with this brand, but Eheims are generally
regarded as the best Cannister filter manufactured. Dead quiet and ultra
reliable. There was a period  until just a couple years ago that Eheims
were_much_more expensive until Eheim changed their single distributor
marketing channel. A couple features I like about them are than you can
inject CO2 into them with no fear of it air-locking and get near complete
dissolution of the gas, because with an Eheim pack the gas has to go thru a
lot of layers of stuff. Another is that they maintain good flow rates for
long periods of time. I have a Fluval 404 MSF that needs servicing at least 4
times as often as my Eheim 2217.

I like the HOT Magnum also, but it is too noisy and not versatile enough for
my tastes to use as a continuous filter. I use it as a spot filter for carbon
or micron filtration only. Whatever you prefer, but for anyone familiar with
Eheim prices, this is cheap.
Dave