Re: Power Compacts vs. VHO's

"Tom Wood" <tomwood2 at flash_net> wrote:
<snip>
>and it is my understanding that they have improved. It is also my
>understanding that compact fluorescents can deliver more light downward,
>with a properly designed reflector, than equivalent wattage VHOs because the
>smaller diameter bulb blocks less of the reflected light. Makes sense I
>guess, but could also be marketing hype.
<snip>

CF's will deliver more light downward with a properly designed reflector
than VHO's, but not because of the reflector. Bi-ax bulbs have overall
"diameters", when seen "face on", of about the same size as a T12 VHO
tube. Thus the restrike geometry in both cases is similar. CF's produce
more light/watt than VHO's mostly because they are way more efficient
in converting electricity to light.

- Ivo Busko
  Baltimore, MD