Re: Radican Sword or Saggitaria?

> Last week I yanked 3 Echinodorus cordifolius
> ("Radican sword") from the shore of a local lake;
> they were grosing quite emersed.

Are you sure that's an Echinodorus?  That looks an
awful lot like a Saggitaria or Pondeteria to me,
especially the flowers.  I have one of each in my pond
out back.  I don't have any pictures of mine for
comparison, though.

The plants love their roots in muck.  The fouler, the
better, it seems.  One member of the Pontederia genus
is called 'Duck Potato,' forming a starchy tuber
that's edible and which served as a food source for
Native Americans.