Narrow Leaf Java Ferns

>Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 06:27:02 +1000
>From: "Bruce Hansen" <bruceh at powerup_com.au>
>Subject: Re: Narrow-leaf Java Fern
>
>I was interested to see your pictures of this plant - did you collect it
>yourself? It looks like Microsorium brassii which I saw commonly in New
>Guinea and is in limited cultivation here in Australia. Unlike the common
>Java fern which is usually seen growing emersed, this one is mostly
>"sub-aquatic"

Hi, Bruce,

Sorry for not replying earlier.  Been busy packing moss :)

I didn't collect the ferns myself.  I seriously doubt they grow in the wild
anywhere in Singapore.  We do have a lot of normal Java Ferns but in
my nature walks, I have never come across the narrow leaf version.

I called my aquatic plant import/exporter friend on the phone just now
and she said that she isn't sure of the scientific name either.  When I
mentioned
Microsorium brassii, she said the only brassii she knows is Cryptocoryne
blassii.  But then, that blassii is spelt with an l and not an r.

When I asked her how she lists the plant in her invoices, she replied that
she calls it Microsorium pteropus (narrow leaf).  So, there you have it -
Narrow Leaf Java Fern.

Loh K L