wallachi survey revisted

I recently noticed that some newly planted wallachi stems which just
yesterday were doing fine, are today showing "white" tips where the pink
used to be.  One stem actually has been broken and floated to surface.
COuld be the "accidental" high volume water exchange I did yesterday broke
it.  As I read thru the arhives to find an answer, I noticed that the
consensus was that wallachi does not like high nutrients.  I believe this
symptom I am now experiencing may tend to prove that hypoth.  I made a 40%
water exchange last night and added 1/4 tsp potassium nitrate + 1/4 tsp
potassium sulphate in an attempt to right a suspected nitrogen def in my
tank (slow down in growth, small leaves on anubias nana & coffeafolia).
Could the whitening have something to do with this?  Is there perhaps
another explanation?
curious Joe
still need to go get that nitrate test kit.