GH Dilemma

I've recently inquired my tap water supplier for some info about my water. I
asked about Ca and Mg concentrations, and was told there was about 51 ppm
Ca, and no detectable Mg. My GH test kit measures 8°, or about 150 ppm.
That's what I told the water company representative, and he replied that
their Total Hardness value is about the same. The difference, he said, was
because a GH test measures other cations in addition to Ca and Mg. So my
question is, when determining the true value of my GH, do I use the results
of my test kit, or the 50 ppm of Ca (+ 0 Mg)? Or is there a difference
because GH is really measured in CaCO3?
__
Alex