GH Dilemma

I've recently inquired my tap water supplier for some info about my water. I
asked about Ca and Mg concentrations, and was told there was about 51 ppm
Ca, and no detectable Mg. My GH test kit measures 8, or about 150 ppm.
That's what I told the water company representative, and he replied that
their Total Hardness value is about the same. The difference, he said, was
because a GH test measures other cations in addition to Ca and Mg. So my
question is, when determining the true value of my GH, do I use the results
of my test kit, or the 50 ppm of Ca (+ 0 Mg)? Or is there a difference
because GH is really measured in CaCO3?
__
Alex