Re: How Should Plants be Packaged and Shipped

If plants arrive and they are dead or rotting when you
open the package, five bucks gets you eight that the
plants were either dead or close to death when they
were packed for shipment.  Rotting describes a process
of decomposition.  Living tissue does not decompose.

My opinion is that temperature extremes take their
toll, but the biggest threat is the drying of aquatic
plant tissues.  That is affected to some degree by
temperature, but I believe the time spent between the
point of origin and the destination is the most
important factor.  Stem plants aren't going to make it
in 95-105 degree heat if they have to spend 5 to 7
business days in transit.  Some sturdy rooted plants
might, though.

If reasonable care is taken not to allow the plants to
dry out, and if the plants were alive when they were
packed to begin with, then they'll make it just fine.
I've never lost a plant, never had a complaint, and
the USPS Priority Mail service, at $4 for 2 lbs, has
been very reliable at delivering in 2 to 3 days.

That doesn't mean I'd want someone else to change
their practice, if what they've been doing has had
good results.  Nor would I want someone to follow my
advice, if the advice of another sounds like it would
better suit their situation.